Food rebels

Like most people, I make daily sacrifices to my stomach. There are some types of food that just rebels against being digested in a pleasant and nourishing fashion. There is a rather short list of substances that disagrees with me (onions, colorants, preservatives, most dairy especially skim milk, although I can drink and eat organic dairy, so I must be allergic to the other-chemicals-the-dairy-industry-doesn't-want-you-to-know-about, and oil, with the least offensive oil being extra virgin olive oil); the other list are foods that I just avoid because the texture is horribly wrong, no amount of deep frying can make it taste good, or eating it reminds me that it is far worse than the worst of the sci fi scenes that show alien consumables.

I should also add that tastes evolve over time and for whatever reason lurking in my subconscious, I only started using (and enjoying) yellow mustard as a condiment at age 26, and very recently started using ground black pepper. I love nutmeg, and no I haven't consumed enough in one sitting to actually have hallucinations. I like oregano in my tomato soup instead of basil. Oregano, salt, and pepper taste really good on fried eggs. I also like a pinch of cayenne pepper in my hot cocoa. That's some tasty schtuff! Heavens forbid I should become allergic to dead side of cow, or the shucked masses of the phyllum mollusca!

(Update: 2/27/08) I only recently started using (and strangely enough, liking) powdered milk in my tea. Hmm. It's very peculiar since I'm a full-fat milk drinker.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...