Simple BBQ Sauce

In an earlier post, I made a spicy homemade catsup. I used that in this recipe. It came out sweeter than I had expected and not as spicy or earthy/smoked as I had hoped. I used this as a basting sauce for roasted chicken legs. Overall, tasty. I'd probably add a lot more smoked chipotle powder to it the next time around.

Yield: about a cup

Ingredients

1 c homemade ketchup
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground red chili flakes
up to 2 tbsp smoked chipotle powder (optional)

Directions

In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for about five minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.

For baked chicken parts:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Baste chicken with sauce and bake for an hour. Flip the parts over on the half hour mark and baste again with the sauce.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...