Homemade Catsup, Ketchup, that red condiment..

One of my new years' resolutions for my pantry was to not buy something I could readily make with ingredients on hand. Fortunately for me, I don't own a deep fryer.. so I can still buy those sweet Maui onion chips. The downside to making these condiments from scratch is not knowing its shelf life. The condiments that I used to buy from Trader Joe's stay fresh for an epic long time in the refrigerator.

I have this stored in a lidded 2-cup glass container. It is spicier than most store bought ketchups because of the chili flakes, but it is quite tasty. I made this batch to be the base for a cocktail sauce for a shrimp appetizer.

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients

One 12 oz can of organic tomato paste
6 oz filtered water
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
a couple pinches of ground clove and ground allspice
one pinch of ground chili flakes (the kind that is used with asian cuisine)

Directions

1. Start by whisking the water and brown sugar together, making sure that the sugar dissolves completely before adding the rest of the ingredients.

2. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Estimated shelf life: up to a month.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...