Kitchen Note: Thanksgiving on the Sides

 I received a real chef's jacket for my bday. It even says "Executive Chef" under my name. It's really cute. :) One could say that my true passion in life is food; isn't that the same for everyone who eats on a daily basis? While I don't particularly have good knife skills, am able to keep a tidy mise en place and meals eventually get prepared, though not entirely in a timely manner.

For a food event like Thanksgiving, planning the dishes and prep times takes a few days of researching recipes and ingredients with what is locally and seasonally available. Planning is what allows a succession of dishes to be baked one after another at different temperatures before and after the turkey is roasted with the same oven.

This year I made the following side dishes:

a batch of skillet cornbread (from the Cast Iron Skillet cookbook; for the stuffing)
roasted brussels sprouts (Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa cookbook)
a loaf of beer bread (in case the cornbread wasn't enough for the stuffing)
rosemary and garlic roasted yams and sweet potatoes
burnt pecan vinaigrette
buttermilk biscuits
roasted garlic-sage butter (for the beer bread)
mushroom rosemary turkey gravy

The gravy and vinaigrette are new recipes; as they were made on the fly as I was doing it. I'll have these posted soon.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...