Sun-dried tomato pesto

Rather than buy the $2.99 container of this stuff from Trader Joe's. I thought I'd try to make it since I already had all the ingredients listed on TJ's container label. After making this batch with grated Parmesan cheese, I think that the cheese is unnecessary. A large clove a garlic is too much of a garlic taste for one cup of pesto. This batch of the pesto came out pretty strong tasting. I wanted to eat it with lavash bread. If you like more basil in spreads like this, then use more basil. I used some basil leaves from a house plant I grew from seed this summer. 

Optionals:

If you omit the cheese, the recipe is vegan-friendly.
If you enjoy nut flavors, pine nuts or walnuts are often combined with a tomato-based pesto.

Ingredients

1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
1 medium garlic clove
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp EVOO
basil leaves, up to 1/2 cup packed (to taste)
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional, to taste)

Directions

1. In a food prep, blend together sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and fresh basil leaves.

2. Mix in grated cheese and serve. Makes 1 cup.

Usage: Combine with cooked pasta, as a cracker or flatbread spread, with cooked eggs, or in place of mustard/mayo on a sandwich.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...